Sunday, March 12, 2017

I'm a Doer not a thinker.

It’s been a long time…just one more thing for me to feel guilty about.  Since starting school, my time for writing personal reflections has basically come to a grinding halt.  My mind is full of other things and I know there is a time and place for all of it.  Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 sums it up. 
There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

I believe wholeheartedly this is true, yet in my humanness, I feel guilty when it’s NOT my time for whatever it is the world makes me think I should be doing.  Having said all of that, I know it’s time for me to write this blog.  Something I heard at church a while ago has been marinating inside me and as I’ve thought through it, about it, and around it, I’ve come to realize something- I far too often checklist my relationship with Jesus.  Church.  Check.  Tithe. Check.  Life Group. Check.  Ministry. Check, check, check.  But the problem is, checking things off my to-do list spiritually brings no peace, no joy, no relationship. It leads me to feeling farther and farther from the peace my soul longs for.  Strangely, the whole statement that brought me around to this was “hell is, at its most basic, as far away from God as you can be.”  What?  I know many of you are thinking, well that’s hardly life changing, but for me it resonated deep.  Why do I checklist my spirituality?  Is it because I can behave my way into heaven or rather, behave my way out of hell?

Those questions have been on my mind for weeks.  Today, at church, we spoke on how good works cannot get you to heaven.  It’s so fascinating to me how God can plant a seed for me to wrestle with and when I feel like he’s not giving me answers (certainly not on my timeline), all of a sudden-boom.  There it is.  I have known as an adult Christ follower that I struggle with check listing myself and my relationship with God because I am a doer.  God does want me to do…Serving is all over the bible.  He also wants me to be with him and to know him more and more. 


I suppose the point of writing this down was to just encourage you all, especially my fellow doer’s, that not doing does not lead to punishment.  The heart of our doing is the key to it all.  I hope during this season you can learn and wrestle with what point of all your doing leads to…does it lead back to God?  All too often for me, it lead to feeling accomplished, but still vaguely dissatisfied.   I’ve learned a lot the last few years as I’ve grown in my faith, but the main thing that I have learned is that I will constantly be learning and challenging my beliefs.  I had so hoped that one day it wouldn’t be as much work, but it is.  Good, holy, life changing work.  Work that leads me closer and closer to the one who created me, the one who knows me better than I know myself and YET!  He still loves me.  And he loves you too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment