Friday, November 9, 2012

What am I teaching my children?

So this morning before 8 a.m. it was like World War III.  Mercy me. 

After finishing getting dressed, I came downstairs and it was an attack.  "Mommy, I did not!"  "Yes, she did!"  *CRY*  *high pitch whining*  And so on and so forth. 

But in what I overheard, I know Ava was trying to tell Elijah how to behave and when he wouldn't listen to his sister, I heard the frustration and anger in her voice. 

When she calmed down, I asked her if I was teaching her how to be angry.  She immediately said NO!  But then she said I don't know.  Part of that was that she thought she might not be in trouble if she thought I was to blame.  Smart cookie.  Part of her was thinking about it.

I told her that I know I am  not always calm and rational when I am frustrated. And that I was really sorry if I was teaching her the wrong way to respond when frustrated.  But it really made me think; how much of my personality and actions, the good, the bad and the ugly, my children learn from me.  I want to teach them how to properly express their feelings.  And this morning, man, they weren't even close! 

I pray that I become better at self control so that I can teach it to my children without saying word.  I want them to be full of Grace and willing to extend the benefit of the doubt to others.  I'd love for them to think the best of others despite society telling us we need to be wary of others and of them "using" us.  I want them to know that they have a lot to offer this world.  And that God loves them and extends them Grace.  And that he thinks they are able to change the world...one life, one smile, one helping hand at a time. 

So yes, today, this morning I was thinking "Oh great!  What am I teaching my kids?"  But after thinking on it most of the day, I've come to realize that the better question is what are my kids teaching ME???

I'll tell you:

Grace
Unconditional Love
Mercy
Humor
Frustration
Patience
Innocence
Laughter
Silliness
Sweetness
Sorrow
Fear
Discipline
Self Control
Pride
Integrity
Selfless Service
Honor
Faith
Confidence
Joy
Hope
Caring
Sharing

I could go on and on I am sure.  But what I know tonight what I have really learned is that I am blessed beyond measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment