Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mommy's unite!!

Many Many MANY musings in my head today.  Not all of them will make sense, some of them may not even make it to my blog.  I need to be better about writing down blog ideas, because I think of about 20 million a day.  So we'll kind of start from there...

I SO SUCK at preserving my kids memories.  I mean, FB probably has most of them, but I need to write it somewhere and stick it in a book.  Ava is the only one that has ANYTHING resembling a baby book.  And it's just up to one year.

I just had a whole other paragraph typed that I somehow highlighted and deleted....so I'll paraphrase:  Kids school schedule travel sucks.  The end.

There is a blog I read with a post I think EVERY parent, moms especially, should read.  Here is the link: http://momastery.com/blog/2012/01/04/2011-lesson-2-dont-carpe-diem/  Seriously, take the time to read this and then tell me you don't agree with this mom...it was like she was in my head.  And she's funny! 

I was thinking today and yesterday about how moms are to each other.  In this, the hardest job in the entire world, we are the most judgemental.  Why is that?  I am certainly not saying that we should turn blind eyes to parents who may be harming their children, but judging them for feeding their kids fast food, or letting them play outside without shoes on, is totally trifling.  (YAY-I used trifling twice in 2 days!) Anyway, my point is whether you are mainstream or crunchy or otherwise labeled as a parent, I think in most cases it is safe to assume that we all do what we think is best for our children and our families. 

I just remember after I lost Sophia being really slapped with the reality that people at the grocery store,or gas station, Walmart etc had no idea I just cremated my firstborn child.  It's not like I wore a sign relating my current situation.  I try to remind myself of this truth every time I want to judge someone.  The reality is they could just be a real jerk or they could be going through something really life changing...having a bad day etc. 

I just wish that more of us were willing to say to the lady who's snapped at her kid in the check out line "I feel your pain.  Been there.  Done that.  Survived."  Sometimes motherhood can be such an isolating experience.  Cause even though you know that all kids have the occasional tantrum, it's hard to hold on to that fact when 10 people in the express lane are staring at you with body language shouting to you that if you were a better mother you could control that brat...HAHAHA.  They either forgot what it was like to have a small child or they have never had kids...

Ok, be HONEST, how many of you ever uttered the phrase "My kids will never do that!" before you had kids???  Anyone???  I actually didn't because I was sooooo certain I would have little hellions.  Much to my relief, as wild as they can be, they are genuinely good kids...But I will admit, I see older kids do things and instantly pray "Dear Lord, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let my kids do that!" 

We're all raising our kids in a fallen world and that means we have to help them navigate some really scary things.  So remember this: Find another couple with kids ahead of yours and use their experience to navigate some of your scary parenting "firsts."  We will all go through it at some point. And then you can be there for the next set of parents...Oh and do what I do, tell your oldest:  "I apologize that you were my firstborn because that means you're my guinea pig, I'll mess up more on you than any other.  Thanks for being a good sport. Love you."

Ava thinks it's funny when I say that now...I'll just wait and see what she thinks at 16...don't worry, I'll blog about it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment